Frisby & Small
Call now
Call now
The firm has been here since 1937, and the current partners have over 40 years legal experience between them. And all of our lawyers specialise in their area of law. This means that you can be sure that whatever job you entrust to us, you can rely on us to have the knowledge and experience to carry it through efficiently and well. We want our clients to feel that they have a good service at a fair price.

If you instruct us then you will find that we do not overcharge or slip in unexpected or hidden costs. We do not ever try to be the cheapest - if that is what you are looking for then this is the wrong site for you - but our fees are always competitive and reasonable. In some areas we can offer a fixed fee that we quote at the beginning. This would be for buying or selling a property, making a will or power of attorney, getting a divorce, or making a possession claim for a rented property.

If we cannot offer a fixed quote then we explain exactly how we will calculate our charges, and we will agree with you how often we will update you on your legal costs.

read more › We can deal with everything from a contested application, to a routine hearing. Whatever the instructions are we deal with them with the same care as if they were our own matters. We check the papers thoroughly and if there are any problems or deficiencies that we pick up we let you know at once. Even on routine matters we prepare for the hearing with care and attention to detail so that we can hope to meet any question that even an awkward district judge may pose us. Anjali Narshi qualified as a barrister and has been carrying out freelance advocate agency work throughout the midlands since 2008.

read more › A claim against a commercial insurance broker who failed to ensure that our client's business interruption insurance was suitable for its needs. A Leicester based manufacturer that took on an authorised dealership for a European market leading manufacturer. The European company decided it wanted to open up its own company in the UK. We advised on the legal options available to our client to respond to this threat. It fell apart and we forced the matter through arbitration proceedings which resulted in our clients getting all of the money they had invested returned with interest and costs.

read more › Frisby and Small Solicitors have a wealth of experience in all types of property transactions. Whether you are moving home, buying your freehold, making a transfer of equity or any other type of transaction, our highly skilled team will work to ensure that your legal work proceeds as smoothly and efficiently as possible. We pride ourselves on our customer service and believe it is no coincidence that much of our work comes from clients returning time after time, or as a result of recommendations from satisfied clients.

read more › Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about Conveyancing. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact us and we will be happy to help you. Conveyancing is the process of transferring ownership of property or land from one person to another. How long the chain is, that is the number of other transactions linked together. The longer the chain, the more coordination of dates is required and the more likelihood of a problem occurring. If a transaction goes ahead without any major problems then in can often complete in around 6 weeks.

read more › Commercial property conveyancing is a specialised area of law and expert advice should always be sought prior to entering into any type of transaction involving commercial property. Here at Frisby and Small we have experience in dealing with all types of commercial property transactions for developers, property investors and businesses. Our experienced commercial property experts have the expertise to ensure that you get the advice and protection you need when involved in a business transaction of this type.

read more › Many properties in the UK are leashold. If you own a property which is leasehold you will be liable to pay ground rent to the landlord on an annual basis. Owning a leasehold property also means that you may have certain restrictions placed on what you can do to your property; these restrictions will be contained in the lease document. If the lease specifies so then you will need to ask your landlord for their consent before making any of these changes, and the landlord can charge a fee for giving their consent, or in some cases deny the consent.

read more › Here at Frisby and Small we are specialist in conveyancing and we deal with many transactions for first time buyers. As a first time buyer you are in a powerful position when buying a property. Many sellers will value the fact that you are not in a chain and therefore the reduced likelihood of a transaction falling through that this can bring. If you have already found a property please contact us for a conveyancing quote and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have. There is nothing worse than falling in love with a property only to find that no bank will lend you the money.

read more › Sometimes during the process of moving home, or other property transactions, you will come across a number of technical terms which relate to the conveyancing process. Here at Frisby and Small we will always try and minimise the use of jargon, however, when it is unavoidable we are always happy to explain these terms to you. When you buy a property, take out a new mortgage or transfer a share in a property the transaction must be registered at the Land Registry. The Land Registry is the organisation which keeps a register of who owns land and property in England and Wales.

read more › We offer fixed fee packages to cover all aspects of a small claim, whether you are suing or being sued. If you are at your wits end, and feel that you are about to start a small claim, then we will give you an initial assessment of your case under our fixed fee interview scheme. So you have complete control over your expenses at all times. We will advise you on the procedure and the law, and on what you should be doing to maximise your case in the eyes of the judge. We can prepare paperwork for you.

read more › There are a number of areas of legal work which are particularly relevant to the elderly and their families. Many of these areas are inter-linked and require expert knowledge across a number of fields. Using their professional and personal experience, our expert Private Client team offer a friendly, efficient and caring service to provide understanding and support in all areas of Elderly Client law to both those directly affected, and those who wish to understand the issues faced by other family members.

read more › If you become incapable of managing your own financial affairs then someone has to step in and manage them for you. If you have not already made a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) appointing a person/people to do this (your Attorney(s)) then someone - perhaps not the person you would have chosen, has to apply to the Court of Protection for the authority to do this (called a Deputy). If you do not have an LPA, the alternative is applying to the Court of Protection. This is a complicated and slow process and usually more expensive than the costs of making and registering an LPA whilst you are able to.

read more › A Living Will is the commonly used term for a document covering a decision in relation to medical treatment which you make in advance, in case you do not have the mental capacity to make the decision at the appropriate time. It is not legally enforceable, but should be taken into account by the people looking after you as part of any decision concerning your treatment. An Advance Directive is a legally binding document that allows you to specify particular kinds of treatment that you don't want, in case you lack the capacity to make the decision at the appropriate time.

read more › Anyone with mental capacity can sign a General Power of Attorney (GPA) giving another person the authority to run their financial affairs. However unlike a Lasting (or Enduring) Power of Attorney, a GPA can only be used whilst the donor still has full capacity. It is therefore usually used when someone is, for instance, going abroad or into hospital for a while. Trustees have limited rights to appoint attorneys to carry out their duties as trustees, and can only do so for one year at a time. If you are a trustee you should seek legal advice about the terms of the trust to confirm your ability to make a Power of Attorney if necessary.

read more › Most people believe that they do not need a Will for their nearest or dearest to inherit their money. Whilst there is a system to define who inherits from people who die without a Will (intestate), this often produces the 'wrong' result perhaps because you have children by different relationships, or they have a wide age range, or because your wealth is great enough such that only a set part of it goes to your wife/husband with the rest going to all your children (legitimate and illegitimate) or perhaps your children would end up with nothing because it all gets spent in long-term care fees.

read more › I've already given one of my children a lot of financial help, do I have to treat them equally in my Will?. If I leave everything to my new spouse, how do I know they won't change their Will after my death and disinherit my children?. To ensure that those you wish to inherit from you will do so and any foreseeable problems are thought through. Our Wills and Probate team has years of professional and personal experience to put at your disposal in assisting you to make the right decisions for your circumstances, taking into account all the relevant issues many of which may not have occurred to you.

read more › We can advise you on the current Inheritance Tax thresholds and steps that can be taken to utilise your tax free allowance and thereby minimise the tax that might be payable upon your death. We can also assist in preparing the appropriate legal documentation to carry out Inheritance Tax saving advice received from other professionals such as Accountants or Financial Advisors. This may include creating trusts or transferring assets during your lifetime. People with their own business or foreign assets should be particularly careful about their Inheritance Tax position and may require specialist advice, particularly in connection with retirement planning.

read more › Below are some of the questions we are most frequently asked about Probate and deceased estates. What is the difference between an Executor, an Administrator and a Personal Representative?. Probate is the process by which, after someone has died having made a Will, certain people (the Executors) are given the legal authority to deal with the deceased's property, accounts and investments (known as their estate). The Grant of Probate is the legal document issued by a Court that authorises the Executors to administer the estate.

Review Frisby & Small

Be the first to review Frisby & Small.

Write a Review

We recommend